Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Power of Worship

Exodus 23:25
"Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you."

We've had a few hours to absorb the news of today--the excitement of the fact that we're ready to get started with the next step, and the sobering news of the risks involved.

As I was preparing dinner, I thought about the day three and a half years ago when we went from the possibility of a bone-marrow transplant to the fact that it was the option we would take. I remember very clearly hearing the doctor talk about the risks involved with a transplant and the chances for her survival. We knew we needed to go down this path, but it was hard to put my arms around the whole concept.

That evening, I went to worship rehearsal and shared my concern with the members of the worship team. They prayed with me and for us, and as we worshiped that evening, my fears departed and I once again was able to hold on to the fact that God was in control. I could feel that sense of peace wash over me.


As I processed those memories tonight, I shared them with Tammy. Now we don't believe in coincidence, so it was pretty cool that tonight, I got to go to worship rehearsal. I'm on the worship team at church once every two or three months, so it's not like I go to worship rehearsal every Thursday night. I told Tammy that I was looking forward to the opportunity to worship with close friends and let God wash over me. Tammy said, "Can I come?"


She won't be able to go to church for about a year. She actually has permission to go this weekend, but with going into the hospital next week, we don't want her to run the risk of picking up something. Once she gets out of the hospital, she'll be under tight restrictions, so she's out of the church loop for quite a while. Tonight, she was able to join us for worship and be ministered to at the same time. But more than that, she was a blessing to the other members of the team.
Even facing the uncertainty of the impending procedure, they could see the joy of God on her face.

God has been so faithful to us, especially over the past few years. We actually look forward to what He has in store for us, because we know that "
in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

My friend and former Major League Baseball star, Mike Sweeney, had a great description for our situation. He used to tell me, "Life is a two-seater bicycle, and I'm just along for the ride."

No comments: