Monday, May 28, 2012

A Long Day

2 Corinthians 12:10
"That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

We're wrapping up a long, difficult day. Tammy has been struggling all day long, but she continues to fight. She has her "fight like a girl" T-shirt on today, and she has been living up to it.

The biggest struggle is the mucus that's in her throat. They want to keep it from getting into her lungs, so they're encouraging her to cough it up. It sounds terrible when she does, but she says the pain is lessened. She's on a really heavy dose of medicine, so she's been sleeping more than anything. But she's still cracking jokes to the nurses. They have to listen closely, because they're not expecting to hear sarcasm from a person in her condition.

I'm going to spend the night tonight. She's in great hands here. I can't imagine being in a better hospital. Yes, Jayhawk friends, we are extremely blessed to be at KU Medical Center. They have responded every time there's a problem, and everyone has a positive attitude. But I just can't leave. I know I won't sleep much, but I also know that any time I wake up she'll be just a few feet away.

We continue to be encouraged that this is short-term. Whether it's two or three more days or closer to five, there's an end in sight. We were just talking about something we'll do when we get home. I said, "when you get back to normal." She said, "I don't know what normal is" and winked at me. Same ol' Tammy.

I appreciate all the prayers that are being lifted up on our behalf. I need them too--for strength, endurance and patience. I also appreciate all the comments I've received throughout the day.

No comments: