Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hit the Spot

Psalms 42:1
"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God."

We started the chemotherapy treatments at the cancer clinic this morning, and when they were done, we came home. What a blessing it was to bring her home, where she can stay more active and comfortable. She'll have three more days of outpatient treatments before heading to the hospital Monday morning.

While we were there, we asked about Tammy's diet. When she goes into the hospital they put her on the highly restrictive diet right away. But since her counts are still high--actually higher than they were Monday--she's not quite ready for the neutropenic diet. So the nurse "suggested" that we visit her favorite restaurant tonight. Well, we don't have the funds for her favorite restaurant, nor the patience to wait for dinner, so we stopped at KFC and picked up a bucket of chicken. We both like KFC (it's our favorite "health food" restaurant), and we enjoyed the chicken, cole slaw and biscuits.

When we got through, Tammy said, "That hit the spot." Being a sentimental guy, I said, "In many ways, you hit the spot for me every day." But what does that mean?

Freedictionary.com says "hit the spot" means "to be exactly right; to be refreshing." So that fits. Tammy is exactly right for me, and seeing her doing so well is very refreshing to me. When I see her struggling, I struggle. But I also realize that she's not perfect. As good of a match as we are, we both have flaws.

So it caused me to wonder, do I pant for God? Does my soul long for His presence. Does time spent with Him "hit the spot" and refresh me? I'm afraid that more often than not, that's not the case. I get caught up in the busyness of life and I thirst for things other than Him.

One thing I have learned through this process three years ago--and obviously I didn't learn it well enough because I'm learning it all over again this time--is that only God can "hit the spot." Only He can satisfy.

I pray that you will be refreshed by God today.

No comments: