Saturday, May 26, 2012

In God's Plan


Psalm 139: 13-14
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

No matter how spiritual we try to be, I think it's pretty normal to sometimes rely on our own “wisdom.” For me, that usually means trouble.

It's hard to see Tammy in so much pain, even though I know this is temporary and the mouth sores are a sign that she's responding to the chemotherapy. The doctor keeps telling us that a few days from now--when the chemo is out of her system--she'll start to feel better very quickly. But I love her more than I can express, and it's frustrating to watch her hurt and know that I can't do anything about it. I want to stroke her cheek, but that hurts her.

So I sit and pout about not being able to do anything.

This morning, as I was reading my devotions, I came upon this verse. It's a very familiar verse, one that Tammy taught her preschoolers every year. It's so simple that preschoolers can understand it. Yet sometimes I struggle to grasp its meaning.

God knows every square inch of Tammy's body, because He created her. He knows what she needs, and she is in His care. All the worrying and fretting I can do will not change a thing. She'll get through with this when He says it's time. His “works are wonderful,” which includes the smiling Tammy with a full head of hair, and the Tammy I see right now, struggling with her swallowing because the sores are in her mouth and her throat.

So I ask you to continue to pray for Tammy, that she could be as comfortable as possible while the sores remain, and that God would allow them to go away quickly. Also, please pray for patience for me to wait for Him to accomplish His will.

No comments: