Monday, May 14, 2012

The Next Stage

Psalms 32:6-7
"Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found; surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance."

We're back at the hospital this morning for the next stage of treatment. We're actually in a different Unit as Unit 41 (the BMT Unit) was full. We're not sure if she'll stay here or move back to Unit 41 when a bed opens up. This is also a cancer unit and it's still a very sterile environment, so Tammy will be well taken care of while she's here.

Last night and this morning were a little rough for both of us. As I got ready to leave the house, I kept walking around thinking, "Will this be the last time...?" for each thing I did. Would it be the last time I would help her get ready for a shower (she needs a wrap over her "PIC" line so it doesn't get wet)? Would it be the last time we would sleep in the same bed? We're both confident she's going to get through this once again, but the thoughts kept going through my mind. Only God's grace kept me from being a blubbering idiot (no comments, please).

Tammy was an encouragement. We had very open conversations about the what-ifs, and she continues to be very strong. Her positive attitude is a healing balm for me, because I know it will help her in this battle, and it's hard for me to be down when she's so up.

When we got off the elevator on the fourth floor, we started to walk down the hall and Tammy started to cry. "This is too familiar," she said, almost embarrassed by her tears. She knows the battle ahead, and for just a few seconds, she let it get to her. But she gained her composure quickly--I think I helped that a little by just holding her--and by the time we walked into the BMT Unit, she was smiling once again. Several of the nurses came out and told her they were happy to see her, which always helps.

She's now resting comfortably, and we're preparing for the transplant in two days. There's an eery comfort level here, as we've been through this before. We know the tough road ahead, but we also know that this is where she belongs because she'll get the excellent treatment that she needs.

As the transplant day draws close, we ask that you continue to pray. We ask for prayers for the doctors and nurses as they prepare Tammy, for "Mike" as he prepares for his donation, and for peace and comfort for us. You are a blessing.

No comments: