Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Small Victories

Luke 15:23
"Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate."

It's amazing what we celebrate in situations like the one we're in. Tonight, the big celebration is dinner. After more than a month of small portions of Beanie-Weenies and Spaghettios, Tammy ate a regular meal tonight.

I had to do a couple of things when I got home, so it was almost 6 p.m. when I started to make dinner. I told her I was going to make myself a couple of hamburgers and some Tater Tots. Then I said, "What sounds good to you?" She said, "Just put one in for me." She ate a full quarter-pound hamburger and a portion and a half of Tater Tots. I'm not sure why this has us so excited, but it does.

She went to the clinic today and got her blood drawn. Her counts continue to go up. Her hemoglobin is up to 9.4 (normal is 12.0-15.0). Her WBC (white blood count) is up to 4.9 (normal is 8.0-11.0). Her platelets are up to 85 (normal is 150-400). As you can see, these are still a ways from normal, but they're continuing to climb. We celebrate that as well.

We also celebrate how Tammy's journey is impacting our family and friends. Everyone who writes to us (use my email: DavidDSmale@gmail.com) tells us they are inspired by how she's handled the adversity. Her faith has not wavered and her positive attitude through the most difficult circumstances has encouraged everyone. We've said it in the blog several times before, Tammy's prayer for years has been to be used in a mighty way. Witnessing of God's goodness, even when things don't go our way, is a powerful way to be used in a mighty way.

2 comments:

Lyricality said...

Hey Mama!! I'm so glad you're doing so well! I wish I could have been there to watch you eat (red) meat! or was it a hockey puck? Either way... YAY! Love you!! Love you too Daddy! ~ DaughterJulie

Lyricality said...

"They keep wailing to me, 'Give us meat to eat!'"

~Numbers 11:13
~or Dad at the store because Mom and brother ate all the meat.