Thursday, June 7, 2012

Waiting on God

James 1:2-6
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."

Tammy has been home for more than 24 hours, and it's hard for me not to get ahead of God. I know the doctors weren't going to release her from the hospital until she was ready. So she must be ready to roll, right? I have to remember that she's still in a very compromised position regarding her immune system. We still have to be very careful with every decision we make. There are no short-cuts.

For example, she and David stopped by my new office on the drive home from the cancer clinic today, where she got fluids because some of her levels were off. I wanted her to come in and see the new digs, but she reminded me that she's limited to home, the clinic and the drive in between. That's it. I'm so thrilled that she's home, that I forget how restricted she is. I want to push her in her recovery. Part of that is good, because she needs to be ambitious, but I can't overdo it. I have to let decide how much is enough.

She'll go to the clinic every day for labs, at least for a while. Eventually that will get cut back to every other day, then every third day. It's a tedious process, but every step of it is necessary. Impatience is not an option.

Our prayer today is not only for continued recovery, but also patience for the process and attention to detail.

No comments: