Monday, June 4, 2012

'Hope' for Tomorrow

Hebrews 11:1
"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

I love this verse, partly because of how we (mis)-interpret the word hope. Using today's vernacular, the best translation for hope may be "wishful thinking." But the hope referred to in this verse is better interpreted "anticipation."

When you look at it that way, the verse says that faith is the assurance of things we anticipate happening. There's no doubt or wishful thinking involved. We know Jesus is coming soon. We anticipate it as a result of our faith. It is with great anticipation, because we know when He does return, He will take us back to Heaven with Him. What a beautiful future that promises.

Tonight, we are "hoping" that Tammy will return home tomorrow. The doctor came in today and said if things continue to progress the way he thinks they will, he will release her tomorrow. We are confident that it will happen soon, whether that's tomorrow or not. We know that there are still some hurdles before that happens. We also know that when it does happen, there will be plenty of hurdles ahead. But after three weeks in the hospital we are ready for her to return home.

I went to Bible study tonight, like I do every Monday night. The plan was for me to go home after that and get some work done. I called her when I got home to see how she was doing. She looked good before I left the hospital around 6 p.m., and she appeared to be ready for a productive evening. But when I called her, she sounded down. I said, "Do you want me to come back to the hospital?" She didn't respond. I said, "Tammy?" She said, "It would be nice to see you again."

I finished the short project I was working on, and headed back to the hospital.  She brings such joy to me, a change of plans was not a problem. She asked me to help her go for another walk--one of the requirements the doctor gave her. She also asked me to just sit here with her. I now look forward to being able to help her walk around our house, to help her get ready for a shower in our bathroom, and to cuddle up in our bed.

That's something to anticipate.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

David and Tammy, what a blessing you are to each other and to the many people that pray for you and your family as the Lord carry's you on this journey. I pray for your healing, for a strong recovery, for the Lord to give words to communicate how He has walked with you through these trials; words that will surely encourage others. I must say that sometimes I don't know what to pray, but I feel the power of the Holy Spirit doing something in me as I search for what to pray for. It's so comforting to trust the Scripture when it says, "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." Romans 8:26. I'm groaning with the Spirit for you, and the groans are filled with the "hope" (Hebrews 11:1)that Tammy will be home soon.
Grace and peace.