Saturday, June 2, 2012

More in Love Every Day

Song of Solomon 1:15
"How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes are doves."

On January 1, I made a commitment to read a lengthy passage of Scripture every day with the plan to read through the entire Bible in one year. I've done that before, but this year I'm reading the Bible in chronological order. So in the middle of Genesis, there was a 12-day break as I read through Job. (I found a web site that lays out a plan, so I know what to read each day.)

It's been very interesting to read it this way, because a lot of the things I have read in the past made more sense in order. So far I have not missed a day. It's become such an integral part of my day, I find myself getting up a little earlier so I can read that day's passage.

Today, the assignment was to read all of Song of Solomon. I remember this as being a very passionate book, as a man and a woman go back and forth talking about how much they love each other, even with some interjection of disbelief from friends. Their love is unfailing.

It was another reminder of how much I love Tammy, and why. When the book lists what the man loves about the woman, a lot of it is physical beauty. I know men are visually stimulated, and I have to agree with the man. I was attracted to Tammy first because of her physical beauty, especially her eyes (thus the verse I chose above). But through the 46 years I've known her, and especially the 32 years we were dating and have been married, I have come to appreciate her true beauty--that of her spirit. As strikingly beautiful as she is, she's even more beautiful on the inside.

I look forward to many more days of being able to praise her for her outward and inward beauty. She is an inspiration to me (and others), and I love her even more today than I did yesterday. If you had asked me last night if it was possible to love her even more than I did then, I would have said no. But, sure enough, I do (I love that two-word expression). And as hard as it is to believe, I'll probably love her even more tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, the doctor was just in and he said things continue to get better. She's off all pain medicine now and they're slowing down some of the other meds as well. She was able to eat some solid food today for the first time in about a week. She will continue to try new stuff, with the hope of being able to go home Monday, or more likely Tuesday.

I love that idea!

No comments: