Saturday, August 29, 2009

Support

Matthew 25:34-40
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

Today is Day 150. The last 50 days have flown by. It just seems like a couple of weeks ago that we celebrated Day 100. That seemed to take forever, especially the second 50 days. Yet we've gone another 50 days since then. We're about a month away from the next milestone of 180 days, which is when the last of the restrictions should be lifted.

The time has gone quickly because of the support we've received from so many people. We've been ministered to by a lot of people in many ways. We've been blessed by the help, and also humbled by it.

We haven't posted as much in the last few weeks because things have just been going smoothly without a lot of changes. Kind of like trying to raise your batting average late in the baseball season, you have to have a spectacular day to see much change.

Well, we had a spectacular idea presented to us late this week. My district manager came into my office and told me he has been training for a half-marathon in the early fall. This is in preparation of a full marathon next April.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has a program that allows runners to raise money in honor of cancer survivors. Ty asked if we would be willing to spread the word about his marathon next spring. He will be running in Tammy's honor.

It's too early to start taking pledges, but if you think you'd be interested in sponsoring him, send me an email (DavidDSmale@gmail.com). I'll put together a group and as the time draws near I'll send you an email to get your pledge.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society does a great job with research and also in helping victims get through the difficulty of cancer. They have donated funds to us to help with prescription costs. We appreciate what they do and look forward to helping them.

Ty's offer of support--and this is not a new offer--brings to mind how much our friends and family have been there for us through this time. Ty has orchestrated financial support from my fellow insurance agents. Our church family has supported us with meals, cards and letters, and even such things as mowing our yard when I was focusing all my attention on Tammy's daily needs. And of course, the prayers of people all around the world have carried us.

When you support someone, you bring glory to God. Sometimes we don't even realize it when we have been God's representative during another person's trials. The key is to be open to His leading, so when opportunities present themselves we can respond.

1 comment:

betsychoate said...

David -

When you have complete info available, please post it on our class website. I know you will receive support from our class. Glad to hear Tammy is doing so well. Onward to Day 180!!! You are in our daily prayers.

Hugs,
Betsy Paauwe Choate