Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Withdrawal


Philippians 4:12-13
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Tammy and I are going through withdrawal. Tonight, I went with David Lee to the pre-trip prayer meeting in preparation for our church's missions trip to Poland. The team leaves tomorrow afternoon and both of us wish we were going.

The past two years, we have been beside ourselves at this point, unable to sleep as we got ready for our trip. The first year, our excitement was over the anticipation of a brand new experience. Last year, we knew what was ahead, and we were even more excited. The feeling of being used by God overwhelmed us, and we couldn't wait to go back this year.

Then something got in the way and our plans changed drastically. Tammy's illness has changed our lives in so many ways, one of which is our inability to travel to our "second home" in Poland. We miss our "kids" and the many friends we met in the last two years.

Missions have captured our hearts, specifically the people and church in Poland. But we take solace in the fact that when Tammy gets better we will go back. Maybe that's next summer, maybe the year after. But we do plan to go back.

In the meantime, we're focusing on this "missions trip." In a past blog entry, we stated our belief that a missions trip is defined as getting out of our comfort zone on a journey to lead others to a deeper relationship with Christ. We're certainly out of our comfort zone, and many have told us that our story, and more specifically Tammy's witness of strength through this, has been an inspiration.

It's all we can do. God has called us to serve Him, whether that's here, across the ocean, or in a hospital bed. Our goal is to be content in the fact that God has a plan, and He is using us as part of it.

1 comment:

Lyricality said...

I'm feeling the same thing... so we'll be state side together. No fair Brother gets to go again so soon! ;) you know I'm messin'. I'll pray for your lonely house! I'm alone this weekend too- all my friends have random family or in-laws. I will probably hang out with Amy and her parents :) it'll be fun. we'll just have to talk with Brotherface and Poland via Skype this year. (my first summer in 5 years not being there)
love you both!! ~J