Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Joy of My Life


Song of Solomon 4:7
"All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you."

There was never a doubt, but it was confirmed to me this afternoon. I can't live without Tammy.

I left the hospital about 2:30 this afternoon when Tammy was resting comfortably after surgery. She was going to sleep most of the afternoon, and I had plenty to do at home, so I left, not planning on coming back tonight.

I went to the grocery store, got most of the laundry done, and fixed myself dinner. David Lee is working, so I fixed what I wanted and sat and ate and watched the ballgame. But there was a pain in my chest, and I realized my heart hurt. Home is not home without Tammy. So I left the dishes in the sink, the clean laundry on the bed, and headed back to the hospital.

I walked in to find Tammy smiling and visiting with a nurse. The nausea is gone, though she still has pain from the surgery. In spite of that, she was cheerful. She told me that she didn't want to call me to see if I could come, because she knew I would drop everything and come. But she really wanted me to come back when she was more awake. Without a phone call or a text, we both knew what we both needed. We needed to be together.

David Lee had prepared a bag with some clothes for Tammy. I unpacked it and put the stuff in the closet for her. At the bottom of the bag, I found a cute little hat. She's wearing it in the picture above. I'm sure you all get tired of me gushing about "my hero," but it just happens. The nurses here were sorry to see Tammy have to go through this, but each one of them has told us how much they missed her and glad they were to see her. She just has that way with people.

There's nothing spiritual about this post, unless you count the fact that we believe God created us for each other. He knew before the beginning of time that I would need a strong, yet gentle woman to care for me with all my medical issues. He knew that she would need a compassionate husband who would care for her in sickness and in health.

No comments: